What can be in a Home in a Basket?
The most helpful things in a Home in a Basket are items that are nearly impossible to hold onto while experiencing homelessness, but are very necessary to making a new home comfortable – and can add up to being very hard to afford.
- Large laundry basket
- Cooking implements (pots & pans, knives, utensils)
- Dish set (microwave-safe dishes, cutlery, mugs)
- Grocery store gift card (any amount)
- Bedding (especially new sheets, full size)
- Bath mat
- bath towels
- Toothbrushes, toothpaste
- Toilet brush and/or plunger
- Cleaning & other
- Sponges and/or cleaning supplies
- Small broom/dustpan
- First aid kit
- Small tool kit
- Handwritten “welcome home” cards
- And more
A Home in a Basket is customizable based on what you think matters the most to someone moving into a new home – all Home in a Basket donations are appreciated and useful. We strongly prefer new and unused items.
How to donate Home in a Basket?
Assembled baskets are needed at most of our sites, from Oakland to Sacramento to Salinas! Email us to schedule a drop-off or to ask any questions about how to get involved.